Wednesday, May 21, 2008

You know you live in a jolly neighbourhood when the garbage men yell out "Morning Miss, how are you?" as you walk past. It happened this morning as I came home from a trip to the local market. A chorus of garbage men greeting me. It made me feel warm and fuzzy inside. The security guards were just as pleased to see me "Good morning Miss!" they chimed, and I almost forgot they were armed with truncheons. At the market almost every stall holder greeted me this way. When I went for coffee another chorus of "Morning Miss" sounded before I had closed the door behind me. I have never been called Miss so frequently! I wonder what it would take to be upgraded to Misses. Or Ma'am?




A few more who answer to 'Miss Maude'.

The man who runs the stall at the market where I bought my veggies this morning didn't call me Miss, but he was wryly amused when I refused a plastic bag and put my goods in my basket instead, "Sure you don't want a bag?" he asked, gently waving one around and smiling to himself. "No no, it's OK." "Oh-kay", he sighed, as if certain my vegetables will misbehave without the constraints of one. They didn't though, I got them home without mishap.
While at the market I tried what I thought would be a banana fritter but turned out to be Ewe Char Koay, a Chinese doughnut in two thinnish strips joined together. Mm, a doughy fried treat. I really should have saved it for my coffee as it needed a bit of dunking to soften up! The coffee shop was playing a soft, acoustic cover by a female singer of Bon Jovi's "Living on a Prayer". Wow, so edgy!



Even my taxi ride home was an experience. The driver had Madonna pumping, and well, I enjoyed it! Ahh, Madonna. Sometimes just the thing in small quantities and in public places. Unless it's her cover of American Pie. Or any version of American Pie. I wonder if there's a Chinese pop song called "Ewe Char Koay"?

2 comments:

janet said...

hey lets try this again- great to talk to you last night, will write more if the machine allows...

janet said...

woo hoo it seems to have worked!! now I can tell you how much I like your blog and how good it is to 'hear' your voice on the screen. The donut reminds me of some super fried treats justin and i bought in Thailand- didn't eat them all and when we woke up the next morning the white paper bag had almost entirely disintegrated due to the oil content of the tasty little morsels, felt a bit greasy after fer sure! keep on truckin miss- love from all of us 'ere.