Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Funny Little Puzzle Box

I did a spot of op-shopping today and picked up this funny little puzzle box. I've seen them around before, but not with these illustrations. I guess they're illustrating nursery rhymes or fairy tales, but I can't quite figure it out!


the box and it's contents


OK, so this is Little Red Riding Hood. The Wolf is hilarious! I especially like the detail in the bed end.


But what is this? Which fairy tale is this meant to be? 'After a hearty feast and much wine the three drunkards play blind mans bluff'? It's an awfully strange illustration.


Hmm, yes it's Puss in Boots all right, but in Cat Kingdom? Such a strange, lovely, whimsical picture.

And this? Farm animals counting out their booty. And there's a farmer running away with a cheeky look on his face. What's he up too? I should mention that the box contains 12 cubes, each side of the cubes make up these four images. Perhaps some research is in order to find out where these funny illustrations originated.

3 comments:

thistler said...

I'm not sure about the princess one, but the animals I thought for a second was 'The Musicians of Bremen' http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Town_Musicians_of_Bremen
. It has a few different animals, but it seems like it!?


the princess one might be this:King Grisly-Beard


The first was too fat: 'He's as round as a tub,' she said.
The next was too tall: 'What a maypole!' she said.
The next was too short: 'What a dumpling!' she said.

? maybe :)

made by maude said...

oh wow. i guess that's no cheeky look the guy is throwing over his shoulder! Thanks thistler. good thing i have u to do my research for me ;)

Anonymous said...

heya,

well, I thought the same as thistler on the musicians of bremmin one, and the princess one I thought might have been Sleeping Beauty - with the prince coming in to wake her up???

The blocks are pretty special!!
xx:)