Monday, March 17, 2008

The Comforters

I have just finished reading 'The Comforters' by Muriel Spark for the third, maybe fourth time. I've lost track of how many times I've read it. Why why why read a novel three or four times? Sigh. I am a sucker. 'The Comforters' encompasses so many literary elements I hold dear. A house set in seaside England, a touch of London bohemian and of course a litany of eccentric characters. And by golly it's funny. So funny. Witty. Caustic. Critical. But gleefully so, and thus endearing. You can read more about Muriel Spark here. I think she may have been a little 'cool' if you knew her personally, but from a distance she's a Lady I Really Like.
.

Don't you think she looks a little like Susan Kennedy on the back cover shot?
P.S. I'm really sorry about the text being underlined today, I have no idea how it got here or how to turn it off

No comments: