Wednesday, April 16, 2008

More Bangsar for Your Buck

I've just come back from an exploring adventure in downtown Bangsar. I grabbed a ride with Thistler in his morning 'taksi' to work. Nothing opens till 10 in KL, so I did a bit of wandering in the sticky heat. Through the obligatory mall, past the 'Village Grocer' (masquerading as a supermarket) and over the road. Main roads here are tricky to cross - the drivers are far more unpredictable than say, the Sydney Rd variety. No one really uses indicators, so it's not uncommon to see cars weaving in and out of traffic lanes willy nilly. Wits about you indeed.
After successfully navigating the road I wandered down a street and stumbled upon a fresh produce market, exactly the sort of thing I was hoping to find! Hurrah! A variety of fruit and veg, flowers, meat...What? Yes yes, chicken carcasses, cuts of beef, whole fishies. On display. In the heat. Not even ten o'clock in the morning yet and I was sweating! Anyways, I was a bit overwhelmed by the produce and failed to procure anything. That's been happening a lot lately. I walk into a supermarket and am at a loss as to where to start. Wits abandoned roadside perhaps?
Sorry I don't have any photographs yet, I haven't quite worked out how to upload images from my phone. You can, however, check out Thistler's comprehensive photo essay of what we did on the weekend. His lovely bosses took us for a drive in the Cameron Highlands, about one hour out of KL. It was beautiful. Lots of tea plantations. And skinny, windy roads. We were nearly sideswiped by a bus! Crikey, it was a hairy ride but worth it!

OK, before you get totally bored...

This is similar to my lunch. Mmmm mm, banana leaf meal. Mine was veg and very filling! Traditionally you use your fingers but they gave me cutlery so I used my spoon (this was my first banana leaf meal). The waiter came over to see how it was and I asked him if I should use my fingers and he said no, not really. I think next time I will though!
Check back real soon for photographs. I am keen as mustard to upload some pictures of events, places and things I've made. In the meantime have a look at AprilMay's blog for this beautiful pair of earrings (they make me wanna pierce my ears) and curbly.com for this AWESOME book recycling project. I know a few lasses who would find this tutorial inspirational!

note: I had trouble linking this tutorial. I think the site was super busy. You can find the tutorial on the front page, just scroll down a little and it's to the right under 'What's Hot', called 'How to Make a Handbag out of a Recycled Book'.

1 comment:

LilliEve said...

Wow, the banana leaf meal looks exquisite. Last nite we had veg stew, not nearly as pretty as yours!

You know, stupormarkets are designed for you to be at a loss, putting you in a coma with muzak and wot not. You can blame the market stupor on the heat :)