Friday, April 11, 2008

Oh Hello!



This is Bangsar, a suburb of Kuala Lumpur. We live here, somewhere. So here I am, after a week or so of incommunicado! So sorry about that but it was difficult to get near a computer with the Internet. And now we have the Internet on in our apartment, so these updates should be regular as clockwork once again!
Kuala Lumpur is lush and steamy. The first thing I noticed was the abundance of trees. I could see their outlines in the predawn as the plane taxied in Sunday morning. There was a bit of an airport fiasco, Thistler and I not actually seeing each other for about 45 minutes. Ahem. Not quite the reunion I had imagined. Tired, grumpy and fending off over enthusiastic 'Taksi' drivers is no way to meet your beloved after a significant absence. Never mind, we managed to get a giggle out of it eventually. So far I have explored a mall or two (a mega mall, mind you) and our local burb. And the swimming pool. We are going for a country drive this weekend, up into the highlands! I've also been making things, but have no pictures yet unfortunately. I can show you this though...




'Softies, Simple Instructions for 25 Plush Pals' by Therese Laskey and Leah Kramer. My sister in law gave it to me before I left. What a clever and thoughtful lady she is! Can you believe it's my very first contemporary craft book? Not a very good record for a contemporary crafter. It's a lovely book and I've already made two softies from it. I'm trying to be good and follow the instructions to the tee, but I can't help skipping some and embellishing others. Oh, I know that's what it's all about, but I wanted to try and challenge myself by actually FOLLOWING INSTRUCTIONS instead of skipping ahead and troubleshooting later. Still, they are LOADS of fun to make. What a thoughtful sister in law I have!
Thank you for your comments. Yes, we are making a bit of a nest here. We're not allowed to hang anything on, nail into or stick anything the walls here so it'll be a challenge to get around that one!

2 comments:

thistler said...

we simply make frame that fits against wall from which we can hang things. This will not be so much of a problem. Let's plan it out. Easy peasy.

made by maude said...

oh yay! you've been thinking. i was thinking some kinda crazy tree like structure that rests on the floor but has lots o hight that we can hang nice things off...