Sunday, April 20, 2008

Things I Have Recently Made

OK, so the images aren't fantastic, but at least it's documentation.  Proof that I'm doing more than swimming and asking myself 'which mall shall I go to today?'.  Actually, we have to tighten out belts here so I think I'll be making more things this week.  And 'teksi' rides can be expensive.  I'm a little shy about working out the public transport system on my own.  Maybe I'll make my own commuter 'softie' and feel more empowered.  
The following softies I made from patterns that came out of, funnily enough, "Softies".  I posted about that book last week.  I make my own softies (you can see some at made by maude) but this is the first time I've ever followed a real, proper pattern to make them.  It may well be the first time I've followed a pattern to make anything since high school! 



'Dorian the Dog' - original pattern b Chika Mori.  I used different colours to those used in the book, but I learnt how to blanket stitch, daisy chain and make a french knot! Oh la la.  Dorian is tiny, about 5 x 8 cm, and I think he's pretty sweet.



This chappy here is 'Snow Bunny' - original pattern by Tamar Mogendorff.  My bunny is very different to the one in the book.  I've used completely different fabrics and didn't follow the instructions to the tee.  I really didn't think I liked where this one was going when I first assembled the body, but after I embroidered the face it got some personality and the whole softie came alive!



This is a particularly shoddy photo.  The whale looks far more interesting in real life.  This is called 'The Lookout' - original pattern by Michelle Valigura.  It's called 'The Lookout' because the original softie has a bird perched on top.  The bird used foam and feathers and a googly eye. The whale originally has a googly eye also, but I embroidered one for her instead.  I can't quite reconcile the fabric and plastic mix.  I'd feel strange popping a bead on something textile based I'd made.  A button though, no drama.  I wonder why that is?  I think I'll make the birdie and see how I feel after that.  I am impressed by the whales gloomy disposition though! 


In case you're new to links in text, you can click on the artists names above and visit their websites.  They're all wonderful and inspiring.  Highly recommended! 

1 comment:

aprilmay said...

I love your whale. I bought a similiar one in a port fairy op shop a few years ago! Will be in touch later in the week.